May 5, 2014

See Through Me Review

*ARC received from author via NetGalley for a fair and honest review. 

See Through Me did not live up to it's potential for me.  There was enough there to make it an incredibly interesting story, but in the end, it just never fully formed as a story and ended all to abruptly. Yes, yes we get warned beforehand that there are two sides of the story, so to expect a cliffhanger.   It wasn't a cliffhanger so much as screeching halt though.

This book tells us the story of Katie and Ash, in present time and through flashbacks from their tween years on.  They both had a rough childhood, in different ways, but found a way to find peace in their friendship and eventual romance. This entire book focused on that, with a little side bit of stalker(ish) drama thrown in.  It was that drama that messed up this book for me.  It reached that grey area where it was not enough to brush aside, but yet not fleshed out enough to understand why it was there in the first place.  I assume that was to draw you into the second book in the series, but it didn't work for me.

In the end, I just didn't have enough to go on, for anything really.  So much happened, and yet none of it was fully formed for me.  I wanted to like Katie and Ash, because I liked the idea of them together, but I never felt like I was able too.  Maybe once we get Ash's story the everything will come together.  Sometimes we really do need two sides of the story.

My Rating--2.75 Stars (because I feel like being difficult tonight)

No comments:

Post a Comment