August 11, 2014

Review: Dust to Dust


Dust to Dust
Dust to Dust by Karina Halle

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



One of the most bittersweet times in a book obsessed person's life is the ending of a series that you loved. You are excited to get that last book, but at the same time you don't know what to do with the fact that you are never going to see them in a new book again. And because I'm a huge and probably slightly crazy sap, I have been a mess while reading this book.

I probably love this series to a fault. Nothing that I've read by Karina Halle has ever really compared to what I feel for this series. So, obviously, I am far from biased in my feelings here. It's pretty much one of those situations where it could be absolutely terrible and I would still think that Karina, and her Dex and Perry, pretty much walk on water. The strength of my fangirl would probably be a little embarrassing if I had the capability to be embarrassed by my obsessions. Alas, I do not..so whatever. I loved this book. I loved this series. I loved Dex and Perry. I loved the resolutions. I loved the heartbreak. I loved to hate the fact that it's over.

Anyway. On to an actual review, rather than an ode to EIT.

Dust to Dust picks up directly after the end of Ashes to Ashes. Directly after, with Perry waking up after encountering Dex's "brother" for the first time. After waking up and rushing home, she finds out that Dex is no where to be seen. He's gone and Perry knows where he is going to be. Back to the beginning--New York City. Where it all started. Where Pippa first met Dex and where she first brought Perry into the Thin Veil, essentially forcing them to become who they are now.

This book isn't the most traditionally scary. I never really got creeped out, per se, but I definitely stayed on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen. Would Perry be able to save Dex, as he has done for her so many times? Did she finally have the confidence in herself and her abilities when it mattered the most? You'll have to read to find out, but obviously I'm not penning this as hate mail to Karina Halle so I'm sure that gives you a clue about that.

It's kind of awesome as a reader to be able to watch people grow throughout a series and watching the growth of both Dex and Perry and their respective families and friends has been pretty amazing. It's also been a little crazy for me to see how much the author has changed over the course of the series too. Expanding from EIT to writing more series, becoming traditionally published..everything. It kind of blows to see the ending of this chapter, but I'm excited to see what else is to come.

So, yeah, 5 stars from me. The series isn't perfect and it's not for everyone.  However, it has been a perfect, wild ride for me and I loved every moment of it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment