November 15, 2014

Review: Deliver Us from Evil: A New York City Cop Investigates the Supernatural


Deliver Us from Evil: A New York City Cop Investigates the Supernatural
Deliver Us from Evil: A New York City Cop Investigates the Supernatural by Ralph Sarchie

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



This book most definitely was not for me. At all. I'll preface by saying that I am Catholic and do believe in demon possessions. However, I still I found this entire book to be absolutely ridiculous. I did find myself frustrated with the constant religious diatribes after every story, though I understand Sarchie's reasoning behind adding it. Good for him for being strong in his faith, but I think the book would have been fine, if not better, without it. My biggest issue with this is that he seemed so flipping quick to jump to his determination that the person was possessed. One meeting and he just knows? And in some cases he knows the exact demon during that one meeting too. I found that baffling. I'm unsure if this was the actual case for his investigations or if everything was condensed so that he could fit in as many experiences as possible. If the latter was the case, it would have been much more impactful to cut that down and just discuss one or two in much, much more detail. In the case of this book, everything seemed too rushed and in the end just flat out unimpressive and questionable. Even as someone who DOES believe in the possibility of demonic possessions, I found myself to be incredibly skeptical of what I was reading.
 
I'll go ahead and add this into my the movie was better category, and the movie still wasn't anything to write home to mom about. It did have an entire soundtrack of music by the Doors so at least if you hate the movie, you have some amazing listening opportunities.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment