January 28, 2015

Review: The Pact


The Pact
The Pact by Karina Halle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I had to wait to check this one out until I was no longer in a fuck the world mood. I don't know about anyone else, but during those times the last thing I want to read is happy people doing happy things. It doesn't make me happy, it only makes me want to throw my beloved iPad in front of a moving vehicle. Alas, I had some freaking awesome news today and I felt the happy wash over me so I could finally get this one read.

I loved this departure from Karina's usual writing style and color me a little surprised by that. I didn't doubt that Karina could do a feel good story, it is that it takes a lot for me to love that kind of story line. I guess I need to chalk that up to Karina's amazing talent in creating incredibly relatable and likable female characters. I can't think of many other authors who has never failed to make me love every one of her female characters. Stephanie was no exception of this. I loved everything about her throughout the entire book. I never had an eye-roll moment that you usually get at least once. So, kudos to Karina on that one especially.

I think the only thing holding me back was that, while I did like Linden and his fabulously dirty mouth, I didn't love him like I did Stephanie. He never quite made it "there" for me. At one point, I actually wished that he was real so I could deliver a much deserved swift punch to the throat. I wish I could nail down exactly why he didn't fully connect with me (other than him being an idiot), but I can't. The only thing that I can possibly think of, is that Stephanie just overshadowed him in her awesomeness.

In my not so humble opinion, if you are looking for a read that is just going to make you feel good when you finish it, and you want a rocking female lead, this is a great choice for you.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment