April 14, 2015

Review: The Unleashing


The Unleashing
The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Color me somewhat surprised but I really, really enjoyed this.

This is my first foray into Norse mythology..well other than Thor but let's face it, as pretty as Tom Hiddleston & Idris Elba are is, there isn't much to the movie past the pretty. I loved all of the mythology, even though there wasn't much in the way of detail other than the basics, but it gives me an excuse to wikipedia binge later on tonight so complaints from me. The star of this book, however, were the Crows. All of the women were strong, funny and relatable. That just isn't something that is horribly common in PNR books and it really makes me want to sit down and read everything this author has written to see if they continue on with that trend. And to add even more yay to this, I even liked all of the Ravens. So much win.

The only thing that keeps me from just 5 starring this and calling it a day was the fact that the point of views were really jumpy. It wasn't something that bothered me, per se, but if I got even a little sidetracked I could lose track of who was talking and need to skip back a bit. Anyone with those pesky little creatures who insist on interrupting your reading time for things like food or referring the potential start of an all out war over the Xbox know that being sidetracked is pretty much guaranteed. It obviously didn't hinder my process too terribly much though, so like I said, no major complaints about it.

Anyhoo. Great read, great mythology, great characters. It's really a win win kind of situation here.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment