July 19, 2014

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

I wish that I could say that I loved this book.  Especially since the movie is nothing short of amazing.  I wish I did, but I just didn't.  


The heart of the book is awesome. Everything that made the movie so great was there.  The humor, the satire, the romance, and Inigo.

Anyway.  The issues I ran across were all centered around Goldman's "abridgment".  His commentary was amusing, until it wasn't.  In the end, it just started to eat away at the story itself.  It was genius in the way that it was written, really, especially for the time it was written in.  A story within a story within a story.  I can recognize all of that, I just can't bring myself to like it.   

Overall, I guess I'm a little..disenchanted?  The thing that made me love the movie so much was the wonderfully sarcastic take on the fairy tale.  The commentary made me lose sight on that at times.  Thankfully, it wasn't enough for me to be completely disappointed though.  I just know to what to skip over when I do a reread.  

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment